Thursday, June 15, 2006

Work choices - yeah right!

I've just seen the Commonwealth Government's 'Helping people to move into work’ advetisment again and realised why I have such an ambivalent reaction to this campaign.

I am strongly in favour of the concept of flexible workplaces which allow mothers, older people, carers, people with disabilties and anyone else with constraints that prevent 40 hour commitments to employment move into jobs. The mother who says 'I really want to work but have the kids to think about' highlights exactly what I think Australia's work culture should be built on - an ability for everyone to combine work, family, and life.

However I can’t help but think of the motivation behind the current push for workplaces to become more flexible – saving money on welfare support. The fact that this strategy of government support and promotion of flexible work practices is tied to a mandated reduction of Centrelink benefits for those being accomodated makes me so angry.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home